50th Birthday Cake Ideas
If you're searching for 50th birthday cake ideas that are unique, interesting, and just plain drool-worthy, we can help! We're sharing the steps we follow for dreaming up creative cake designs. Follow along and dream up some of your own.
For a 50th birthday party, not just any ol' cake
A big celebration demands a fabulous finale —a cake that will be remembered!
Here are three things to think about as you begin to sift through your 50th birthday cake ideas (sift...get it?):
- If you're having an elegant celebration, select a cake design that will match that level of formality.
- If you're planning a theme party, pick a cake design that echoes your theme in some way (for example, if you're having a garden theme party, choose a floral design, or a flower pot shaped cake, or crown a layer cake with fresh flowers from your garden).
- Know your guest of honor! If she or he has mixed feelings about turning fifty, absolutely no over-the-hill birthday cakes allowed! While that might be funny to some people, it could spell disaster for your big event. An unhappy guest of honor is not your goal —well, unless it's your miserable brother-in-law... but I digress.
As we've said before, anything that mortifies the guest of honor is a birthday party no-no.
The best way to make a special cake memorable is to make it personal!
If it's personal, if it speaks to something unique about the guest of honor, then it will be meaningful. And if it's meaningful, it will be remembered. And we know you wouldn't complain if folks were talking about your party for weeks to come.
So here's where the "know your guest of honor" rule comes into play again.
When you're thinking up cake designs, as yourself three questions:
- Does the guest of honor have any special interests or hobbies? Favorite colors or patterns? A favorite quote?
- Is she or he known for anything? For example, is there a particular phrase she or he always says, a particular item of clothing he or she is known for wearing (a bowtie, cowboy boots, a beret, funky stilettos), any quirks that make him or her stand out?
- What are his or her feelings about turning fifty? Is he or she okay with it or appalled by it? If the latter, cross off those over-the-hill cakes right now!
Check out these masterpieces —bet you'd be talking about these cakes long after the party was over.
If you think about the guest of honor and what makes him or her unique, you'll come up with fabulous 50th birthday cake ideas that'll be just right for your big celebration.
When you're all done, we'd love to see a picture of your finished masterpiece!